Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Homemade Dish washing detergent

 What are we up to now?? Do not worry this is not a new fad loose weight clean out your system drink. What this is is my newest found love. I have, more than anyone should admit, enjoyed making and using my homemade laundry soap. Since taking that brave leap of faith, I've ventured on to homemade dish washing detergent. This is what is working for me.

Mix together above ingredients in this order
1 cup baking soda
1 cup borax
2 packet clear sugar free koolaide Or 2 tablespoons citric acid

As a rinse agent use White vinegar

I use 1 heaping tablespoon per load


This is the dishwasher I have. Nothing fancy here! And, It takes three hours for 1 cycle!!!

We all have different dish washers, water softness and water temperatures so my recipe may not work for you, but I encourage you to try some alternative recipes. Other recipes that may work better for you include:

Powder Recipe 1
1 cup Washing Soda
1 cup Borax

Powder Recipe 2
1 cup Baking Soda
1 cup Borax
For the above two recipes:
  • Mix thoroughly and store in a plastic container, use approximately 2 TBS per load.
  • Use vinegar in the rinse compartment as a rinse agent to help prevent residue
  • Try adding 2-3 drops essential oil
Powder Recipe 3
1/4 cup Washing Soda
1 TBS Liquid Dish Detergent
Use the above for each load of dishes.

Liquid Dishwasher Detergent Recipe
1 part baking soda
1 part borax
1 part water
1 drop lemon or orange essential oil per cup of detergent
  • Mix the ingredients thoroughly and store in a sealable jug.
  • Use 2 to 3 TBS per load.
If you’re having a cloudy dishes problem after using the homemade detergents:
  • Try adding a few drops of liquid dish soap to the powder compartment when you add the powder.
  • You could also try cutting back on the amount of soap used (if you’re using 2 TBS, try cutting it back to 1 – 1 1/2 TBS).
  • Make sure to use vinegar in the rinse cycle
Good luck!! Please let me know what works best for you and your family.

1 comment:

  1. you are on a roll girl! I just tried my laundry detergent and LOVE it so now can't wait to try the dishwashing detergent!

    ReplyDelete